Wednesday, January 5, 2011

(: Modality Spotlite: LomiLomi Massage :)

LomiLomi...

Whoever heard of LomiLomi? I hadn't, until I heard one of my clinic supervisors from school talking about it when referencing another student's natural style. He described it as very "flowing, almost intimate, very intuitive". Being a natural aspiring King of all modalities, I had to look it up.

On wikipedia (of course I use wikipedia) I learned that the word Lomi is Hawaiian, or Olelo Hawai'i, and means "to rub, press, squeeze, massage; to work in and out, as the claws of a contented cat". Ok then, less Tom and Jerry during a chase, more Garfield after a meal. OK, I get that. It's also described as a holistic healing modality seperate from "simple" massage, which I take to mean relaxation massage. Nice :)

After reading that chunk of information, I let wikipedia sit in another tab as I cast google out to search for other resources. Saw the Sacred Lomi site http://www.hawaiiantemplebodywork.com. Ok, weaving the traditional principles into a more heart centered approached is quite golden. These two healers, Tom Cochran and Donna Jason developed it, and it definitely looks like something to check out, as soon as I purchase the hundred dollar dvds. um...

You'll find this out about me relatively quickly: I'm an advocate of buying a teaching aid only after I've gotten the hang of it and want to round out my incorporation of the modality with formal knowledge. In other words, I'm going to find some site with introductory guides, some youtube videos with decent routines that sport great flow, and emulate those. That's how I do it :)

That being said, wikipedia (back there again) says that lomilomi is performed with all the same tools as swedish massage (hands, fingers, elbows, knuckles, knees, feet (shiatsu?), with the addition of sticks and stones. Whoa, sticks? That's right up my alley...

On to videos!
I vehemently dislike three minute videos when a decent routine could take an hour. At the very least, show me eight to ten minutes. Then I saw this video, and decided that the lady practicing here was too good to pass up. check it out




I love the fluidity, see her body mechanics? Of course, she's in her zone, you can tell, but mastering that, along with the seemingly effortless transition between body sections of the body. She works each section, but also incorporates all other sections to keep everything from getting cold. when I learn that in particular, how to keep the client's whole body involved in the massage, I feel I will have accomplished something.

NEXT TIME...
We'll go into brass tacks, how do we incorporate LomiLomi into our modalities, and where can we go after we've exhausted all resources? I personally prefer to watch and then emulate as I incorporate my own spin, so I'll scour the net and try and find us some LomiLomi therapists to interview. Until then, keep your minds learning, your hearts loving, and your hands healing, Merry Billion style!

No comments:

Post a Comment